Yesterday I shared that summer was all about karpouzi at my house.
The other Sunday, after church, I had my friend Sandra over for brunch and wanted to make something special. I decided to try my hand at a watermelon-feta salad. This isn’t something I ever grew up eating, but when I attended the GABBY Awards a few years ago, one of the passed meze they served at Ellis Island before the ceremony was cubed watermelon with feta speared with a toothpick. Since then I’ve seen delicious recipes for it watermelon and feta salads. I decided to make my own version, topped with an exquisite dark chocolate vinaigrette my friend Rori gave me as a housewarming gift.
- Cut watermelon into chunks
- Cut Feta cheese into chunks
- Mix the watermelon and feta in a bowl and top with pistachio meat (meaning pistachios out of their shell)
- Drizzle dark chocolate vinegar over the salad
See how easy that is?! You can prep ahead by cutting the watermelon and the feta into chunks the night before, but I recommend waiting until you’re about to serve guests to mix the ingredients together so that they retain their individual flavors and so the nuts don’t get soggy.
The ingredients are, admittedly, a bit on the pricier side, but when you make it yourself you save a lot of money. This is part of a new series I’m doing called “The Starving Artist.” I used to do posts called “Tasty Tuesday,” but I’m switching it up a little now to focus on budget-friendly recipes for writers. You might also like these feta-inspired appetizers:
- Feta Salsa — via Smitten Kitchen
- Htipiti (a spicy feta cheese dip that has jalapenos in it) — via Parea Bistro (now closed)
- The mezze I made for my writing workshop
I’m looking to get more fruit in my diet this summer. If you have any unique watermelon recipes, please share them in the comments below!