You, yes YOU, have the power to select the winners of the 2013 GABBY Awards. What’s that? You’ve never heard of the GABBYs? Where have you been, my friend? The GABBY Awards celebrates Greek America’s best and brightest:
The Gabby Awards were created to celebrate those Greek North Americans who strive to be the very best at what they do. Whether in business, philanthropy, the arts, education or other areas of interest that our awards cover, we celebrate the pursuit excellence as a core Greek ideal and are inspired by people who pursue excellence.
The name “Gabby” comes from the acronym “Greek America’s Best and Brightest Stars” and the Gabby has quickly become the top achievement awards for Greek North Americans. The awards are based on a purely meritocratic system that involves a 100-member Academy that determines the nominees, followed by a popular vote via the internet.
I attended the 2011 GABBY Awards on Ellis Island, which were AMAZING. Here are my recaps.
This year, the star-studded festivities will take place in Hollywood.
And the nominees are….
…Drum roll, please!
Business & Entrepreneurism
- Sophia Amoruso, Founder and Owner, Nasty Gal (fashion)
- George Kalogridis, President, Walt Disney Resort
- Arianna Huffington, Journalist and Founder of the Huffington Post
Politics & Public Service
- Andromache Karakastanis, Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada
- Reince R. Priebus, Attorney, Chairman of the Republican National Committee
- John Sarbanes, Maryland Congressman
- John Paul DeJoria, Co-founder of Paul Mitchell Systems, Patron Spirits, and JP Selects
- Michael Lazaridis, Founder of Blackberry, Philanthropist
- John Pappajohn, Entrepreneur, Philanthropist
- George Kontos, Professional Baseball Player
- Christina Loukas, Olympian, Diver
- Nick Markakis, Professional Baseball Player
- Nicholas Economides, Professor of Economics
- C. L. Max Nikias, President, University of Southern California
- Nicholas Zeppos, Chancellor, Vanderbilt University
Arts & Culture
- Alexander Payne, Screenwriter and Director
- George Pelecanos, Novelist, Writer and Producer
- Greg Yaitanes, Director and Innovator
- Chris Diamantopoulos, Actor
- Tina Fey, Actress
- Zachary Galifianakis, Actor and Comedian
Science & Medicine
- Paul Alivisatos, Ph.D., Professor of Chemistry and Materials Science
- Dr. Peter Diamandis, Founder, Chairman & CEO of the X Prize Foundation
- Constantine Stratakis, M.D. D.Sc., Medical Investigator
You can officially vote here. Let me know in the comments section, though, who you’re voting for. Also, is there anyone that didn’t make the cut that you think should have been nominated?