Happy Friday! Flavorwire’s recently been doing an indie bookstore roundup, which has been fun to peruse. I thought I’d share those with you and also offer a few of my own picks, which are mainly Beat-related or New York City-bound.
- Flavorwire’s 45 Great American Bookstores to Support This Holiday Season
- Flavorwire’s 25 More Great American Bookstores to Support This Holiday Season
- BBC’s America’s Best Indie Bookstores
- Beat Book Shop (and on facebook) in Boulder, Colorado
- Beat Museum in San Francisco, California
- City Lights Booksellers & Publishers in San Francisco, California, is mentioned on some of the above lists but is worth repeating
New York City Bookstores
- La Casa Azul in Spanish Harlem in New York City
- Brazenhead Books, a secret bookstore on the Upper East Side in New York City
- The Corner Bookstore on the Upper East Side in New York City
- Bluestockings, a fair-trade, activist bookstore on the Lower East Side in New York City
- Mercer Street Books, a bookstore for “interesting, esoteric and weird books” in the Village in New York City
- The Astoria Bookshop, a new bookstore in Queens in New York City
What are the best indie bookstores in your neighborhood?
* * *