Well, I suppose it’s that time again. Time to start thinking about what to give everyone for Christmas. That’s what every commercial and store window is not at all subtly hinting at anyway.
Burnside published my gift guide for art lovers. The guide shows how you can support independent artists through your purchases.
Here are a few additional ideas:
- a beautiful coffee-table art book
- a subscription to an arts magazine, such as Juxtapoz, Art in America, The Thing, or ArtForum
- a membership pass to their favorite local art museum
- a biography of an interesting art figure or a nonfiction account of artists’ lives. For example, Martin Gayford’s The Yellow House tells the story of Gaugin’s and van Gogh’s time sharing a house in France and Sue Roe’s The Private Lives of the Impressionists explores the lives of artists who were ridiculed at the time but whose works now hang in museums around the world.
- if the art lover is also an artist, consider notebooks, portfolios for their work, classes, studio space, and art supplies