One of my former interns made this for me on her last day of the internship at the publishing house. Isn’t it so cute? I was really touched. I don’t know that I taught her everything about a career in book publishing, but hopefully I gave her a good foundation.
I thought I’d share a few tips on careers in book publishing and being a businessperson in a creative field:
- Take a wide variety of classes as an English major
- Set goals for your MFA in creative writing
- Get a writing mentor
- Maintain your alumni network
- Network — even if you feel awkward
- Attend writing festivals and expos — like the Brooklyn Book Festival and Book Expo America
- Attend publishing industry events — I’m a fan of MediaBistro’s book club
- Learn to love social media and make sure to post on Facebook and Twitter
- Get yourself on Goodreads — the social media page for those in the literary industry
- Read other industry blogs and newsletters
- Read the classics and the latest bestsellers
What’s your favorite piece of advice?